"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you did not do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." -- Mark Twain
Saturday, August 8, 2009
MS Bike Tour 2009 - Day 2
So.....day 2 started bright and early with breakfast at the cafeteria. Again there was lots of yummy food to start the day off right. After breakfast I went back to my room to put on the padded shorts....I just couldn't wear them to breakfast....everyone else did....but I just couldn't do it. Love them on the bike....not so much off. After I was dressed and packed I took my bag to the Purolator truck and went down to get my bike. The first part of the ride was going to be uphill so I decided to leave before my team as I knew they would have no trouble catching up....I was right. Day 2's weather was the opposite of Day 1....hot and sunny. Rest stop 1 came quickly and the legs were feeling good. We didn't take too much time there....filled up with gatorade and had some fruit then hit the road. Rest stop 2 came fairly quickly too...and again, the legs were feeling good. It was here that I made a big mistake. Filled up with gatorade, had some fruit, then hit the road. The next stretch was a gruelling steady climb....and it was getting hot out. I had to get off the bike and walk for a bit. Near the top, I got back on and then continued on for a bit...then I realized....I didn't have my backpack! CRAP!!! I left it back at rest stop 2. The thoughts of going back to get it and having to that hill again were....well...I was seriously considering not going back. Lucky for me I didn't have to....Darren saved the day by going back and getting it for me. He told me to continue on and he would catch up. So I did....and he did catch up. We ended up in Windsor shaving 20 minutes off of Day 1's time. Not that it is a race, but it sure feels good to know that I improved in 2 days and 88kms of riding. At the end they fed us again with a BBQ.....I felt so spoiled all weekend...they really treat the riders well. The drive home didn't do me a whole lot of good....I was pretty stiff by the time I got home but I felt so good at what I had accomplished. I will definitely do this ride again.....it is a great event and supports a great cause. I will continue to do it as long as my body will let me.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment