Monday, July 27, 2009

MS Bike Tour 2009 - Day 1


This picture doesn't give a good idea of the number of people that were participating in this event. There were 450....yup...lots! We left in 2 groups, escorted by the RCMP. That was pretty cool 'cause we could be all over the road and be safe....I like that. It was a little nerve wracking at the beginning due to the number of people biking so close together.....I've never had the peleton experience before. I felt like I was part of something huge...which I was. So off we went into the grey-ness. Things were going well....my legs felt good....energy was good..and then all of a sudden we were at the first rest stop!


The first rest stop was approximately 14km into the ride....14km!! I definitely didn't feel like I had just biked 14km. Wow!! The rest stops were amazing...huge fruit trays, tons of granola bars, water and gatorade. Oh..and washrooms too for those people who were drinking more than they were sweating out....not me....I found a perfect medium there. We left Rest Stop #1 feeling great. The we went through Hantsport......the whole road (or it seemed like it) through Hantsport was graded....NOT nice. Just when I thought I couldn't do another foot of this road it ended.....phew! Back on to pavement. The road went on...some uphills and downhills, and we got to Rest Stop #2. It was just as awesome as #1, and I was feeling just as good....but the big hill was still to come. And so it did.....it started off pretty gradual....not too bad....then there was a turn in the road...still not too bad...then there was a downhill...nice.....then the signs that said :slow down", "sharp turn", "pedal hard".....uh oh. I did everything they said and made it about halfway up the hill. I got off and walked to the next level spot. Biked a bit more til I just couldn't pedal anymore and walked to the next level. After that I was good to go...there were a few more uphills and downhills.....and one long gradual downhill to Acadia....yay...the end of day 1...for me anyway. The rest of my team did the option 36km loop around Canning. While they were busy riding I got cleaned up, washed my clothes and relaxed. By the way.....I packed WAY too much...not sure what I was thinking.....wardrobe changes at each rest stop maybe? I liked what I wore so much that I washed it so I could wear it again the next day. Which brings me to the padded shorts. i have developed a Love/Hate relationship with them. Loved them because they saved my butt while riding.....hated them when I was off the bike. I think I'll buy the pink pair from the earlier post....maybe they'll feel better when I am off the bike because they are pretty.
Once the rest of the group returned, they got showered up and we headed down the hill to the Library. I know you're thinking, "what a geeky bunch....bike all morning, read all afternoon", not so....The Library is a pub. Ahhhh....now you get it. Of course, one cannot bike 44km without a reward at the end. This is a pic of our team...the Crank Spankers.



Stay tuned for Day 2.

No comments: