Thursday, October 8, 2009

Why Kids Think Parents Don't Know Anything

So your kids ask lots of questions...that's normal. Be careful how you answer. Jaden asks LOTS of questions...and not the easy ones. He asked one the other day and as soon as I answered it, it was like a light bulb went off in my head! Now I know why kids think their parents know nothing. Here is a summary of the kind of questions I have been asked in the past couple of weeks:

"So and so kissed so and so...she kind of layed down on him...that's called humping.' My answer..."not it's not." "Well then it's called sex." My answer..."no it's not." Not really any kind of explanation....avoidance if anything.

"Mommy....you know that song by Lady GaGa....Disco Stick? What does she mean by Dico Stick?" My answer..."I don't know." Of course I know what she means...I'm not telling him....avoidance again.

There was another one but I seemed to have blocked it from my memory already. So you see...parents say "I don't know" a lot and then eventually the kids are like "well....Mom/Dad doesn't know.....they don't know anything."

Solution? Tell them the answer no matter how awkward or painful it may be....hopefully it will pay off in the long run. I will try it out next time...and will let you know how it goes :)

1 comment:

Lisa said...

There are other answers you can give him other than "I don't know." and still be in the PG category.
I also think it is far better to give your children the gift of staying a child as long as possible rather than worrying about whether they think we know anything or not. Neither of my children have listened to Lady GaGa, nor have they ever mentioned the carrying on that Jaden saw at school. Thoughts to ponder.